Two weeks ago, I turned 21 years old (should I yay, or nay?) – a lot of weird, and personal and challenging and emotional developments have occurred in my life through the past 4-5 years. Keeping in mind my new found wisdom gained from legal adulthood, here’s 21 things I learnt before I turned 21:
- Best friends are overrated: I’ve had a string of different best friends over the years before I realized how extremely stupid the concept was. The person you are closest to depends on where you are in life and changes as rapidly as your life changes.
- Not everyone will understand you: Everyone isn’t equipped to understand your problems no matter how much you want them to. So find someone who is.
- Long distance is really long distance: You won’t even realize how fast some people grow out of you once they go to another country.
- Not everyone will feel what you feel: You might hate someone deeply and that person might not even give you a glance (which actually will just make you hate them more), but more importantly you might walk a paragraph for someone and they’ll keep you for a sentence in their heart.
- Music is the best therapy: Nothing will ever suit any situation in life as much as the right music will.
- Your person will come: In a generation where everyone is always in a relationship, or has found that person to post cheesy captions for, life will give you your person when you’re actually ready for them.
- Never give up on TV shows: There is a plethora of television series’ on every kind of platform everywhere. Find something for yourself, because when college, work and people get too much, you really need those. (I recently watched Mindhunter (Netflix) and Breathe (Amazon Prime) – go try them!)
- Try something new: Everything around us is constantly evolving and trying anything new once in a while really helps.
- Making new friends isn’t terrible: There are times when people will give you a lot of grief about some new people you start talking to. Forget them. Spend time with people who are good for your mental health.
- Pizza will never disappoint you: This is true 10000000%. People will disappoint you, and movie adaptations of books will disappoint you, but pizza will never ever ever disappoint you.
- Read one quote per day: This is actually really therapeutic and very easy to do. Quotes are literally everywhere. I get my daily dose from instagram and we heart it.
- Change is the only constant: Every change doesn’t necessarily have to be bad. If something is changing, its 99% for the best.
- Move On: Move on from boring books and overrated shows, but most importantly move on from heartbreak.
- Forgive, not easily, but forgive: Forgiving people who’ve really done you wrong comes very hard. Its really easy to just say you hate someone and not make any effort. So try forgiving. Forgive people because you deserve to give that peace to yourself.
- Make time: Life is all about priorities and if someone’s company, and someone’s presence really means a lot, then please prioritize them. Life is run out of you before you can make the most of these people.
- Work your ass off: I mean, really, work so hard that you never look back thinking you could’ve worked harder. Work hard at work and work hard at college and you’ll easily master adulthood.
- You can’t change people: Some people come into your life filling it with so much happiness and hope that the minute something goes wrong in their life, you want to fix it. But you really can’t. Whatever is happening in someone else’s life is happening because of how they are as a person, and that – you can’t change that, no matter how much you try and how much you want to.
- Put your health first: This is so important and most people don’t realize it till they’ve already lost all control over it. Nothing in life will matter as much as your physical and mental health will (except maybe One Direction coming back together), so work on your health everyday!
- Binge watch Harry Potter: You shouldn’t even need a reason for this. Binge watching Harry Potter movies is the best thing and you never need a specific time or reason or anything at all for the same.
- Never forget what you love: Really, it could be singing or dancing or looking up crazy recipes all day (personally, I love reading). Always, and I mean always, find time for what you really love.
- You’re not too old: You really aren’t. Stop cribbing and thinking that you’ve wasted life. You’ve barely started life.
Last year, I went off to this tattoo parlour here in Mumbai and got myself inked, again!
Now, my first tattoo was a tribute to my family and so obviously, my second tattoo is a tribute to my best childhood memory and my favourite book series of all time.
Lo, and behold!
Yes, yes, yes! THAT’S MY NEW DEATHLY HALLOWS TATTOO (scream on cue)
I’m so excited and so happy I don’t even have words – my tattoo is beautiful and amazingly pretty looking :”)
Exam preparation literally means listening to music along with emotionlessly reading tons of notes off of my laptop. Keeping in lieu with this, here are 10 songs I’ve become wholly obsessed with this past 2 weeks!
- Too Good at Goodbyes by Sam Smith
- Naked by James Arthur
- Jet Lag by Simple Plan
- It Ain’t Me by Kygo featuring Selena Gomez
- A Different Way by Lauv and DJ Snake
- This Hindi song called Dil Diyan Gallan, from the movie Tiger Zinda Hai (beautiful, I swear)
- Less I Know by OneRepublic
- You are the Reason by Calum Scott
- Bedroom Floor by Liam Payne
- Miss You by Louis Tomlinson
Have you been obsessed with any of these amazeballs songs for a while?
Happy New Year Guys! The only thing I really want out of this year is good grades and One Direction back together. Keeping that in mind, here’s my biggest resolution for this new year:
The biggest barrier to my unhealthy skin is my unhealthy mind, thus I’m going to try my 1000000% best to have a healthy ass mind!
Guess what I was up to on Sunday night?
If you guessed that I attended Ed Sheeran’s second concert here in Mumbai, then you guessed absolutely correct!
I’m sure 99.99% of the population would agree with me when I say that you NEED to watch Ed Sheeran in concert at least once – because Ed Sheeran in concert is by far worth the money you’d pay for the ticket, the lines you’d wait in, and all the screaming and shouting of lyrics.
I last watched him when he was touring for Multiply back in 2015 (and obviously I blogged about it (go read about it, thanks!) – Shameless self publicity )
Ed Sheeran released his third studio album in the first half of this year and started touring almost immediately and thus when tickets for his Mumbai concert went on sale in July, I bought them! The concert started at 8 PM and he sang for 1.5 hours and I shouted out lyrics along with him with no tune whatsoever for the whole time.
I went alone for the concert (turns out I’m quite self sufficient that way) and recorded all the songs I had made up my mind to record! There is no comparison to Ed Sheeran singing live and with every song he just makes you realize more and more why it would make absolute zero sense to not be in love with him. He wore a blue kurta, similar to the one he wore last time and looked completely adorable – most importantly, he sang A-Team! A-Team was the first song I heard by Ed back in 2012 and the amount of love that I have for that song is not fathomable.
When he sang Dive, I completely lost my shit (so to say) – Dive is my favourite song off the new album, and then he sang Photograph as well – my favourite song from his previous album!
I had a massively amazing time and I would go back to his concerts any time of any day.
College has been on break since the second week of October. Its our combined diwali vacations and the month long internship break.
Now for the past 2 years, we’ve not really taken a family vacation – mainly because my brother had tons to study and no time to spare. So this time, when we both had ample free time, I was completely adamant about a vacation. At this point, all of us just really, really needed it.
Thus, on the 15th of October (a Sunday), we took off from Mumbai to go visit Goa! I’m not exaggerating when I say that I LOVE the beach! I’m obsessed with the water, and the waves, and the simple, happy feelings that beaches create in you. Our trip was four nights long and I’m proud to say, a complete success!
Ever since I’ve learnt how to properly use my expensive camera, I’ve actually gotten a bit better at taking pictures and thus I ended up taking some really beautiful pictures. And ever since my mother gifted me a polaroid camera, I ended up taking some really cute polaroid pictures as well!
I collected adorable sea shells, bought really cute foot jewelry and purchased tons of souvenirs (I have a definite thing for them) and had a truckload of fun – right from spending every spare moment on the beach to road tripping to various places. I clearly remember, at one point, I was standing on the beach, near the edge of the sea with just enough water washing against my ankles and I remember thinking, ‘I love this. I love the beach, and the water and I love feeling that I was born for this.’
This month has been really exciting for me, mainly because 3/5 One Direction boys released new music! The only upside of them being apart is that theres five times more music than usual. So here’s whats been on repeat for most of this month:
- Too Much To Ask – Niall Horan
- Dusk till Dawn – Zayn feat. Sia
- Your Song – Rita Ora
- I hate you, I love you – Gnash feat. Olivia O’Brien
- There’s Nothing Holding me Back – Shawn Mendes
- Seeing Blind – Niall Horan feat. Maren Morris
- Boys – Charli XCX
- Find You – Nick Jonas
- The Night We Met – Lord Huron
Additionally, I heard three new songs yesterday and approved of them right away – Bedroom Floor by Liam Payne; Just Like You by Louis Tomlinson; Personal by The Vamps.
Have you been listening to any of these super addictive songs?