Two weeks ago, I turned 21 years old (should I yay, or nay?) – a lot of weird, and personal and challenging and emotional developments have occurred in my life through the past 4-5 years. Keeping in mind my new found wisdom gained from legal adulthood, here’s 21 things I learnt before I turned 21:
- Best friends are overrated: I’ve had a string of different best friends over the years before I realized how extremely stupid the concept was. The person you are closest to depends on where you are in life and changes as rapidly as your life changes.
- Not everyone will understand you: Everyone isn’t equipped to understand your problems no matter how much you want them to. So find someone who is.
- Long distance is really long distance: You won’t even realize how fast some people grow out of you once they go to another country.
- Not everyone will feel what you feel: You might hate someone deeply and that person might not even give you a glance (which actually will just make you hate them more), but more importantly you might walk a paragraph for someone and they’ll keep you for a sentence in their heart.
- Music is the best therapy: Nothing will ever suit any situation in life as much as the right music will.
- Your person will come: In a generation where everyone is always in a relationship, or has found that person to post cheesy captions for, life will give you your person when you’re actually ready for them.
- Never give up on TV shows: There is a plethora of television series’ on every kind of platform everywhere. Find something for yourself, because when college, work and people get too much, you really need those. (I recently watched Mindhunter (Netflix) and Breathe (Amazon Prime) – go try them!)
- Try something new: Everything around us is constantly evolving and trying anything new once in a while really helps.
- Making new friends isn’t terrible: There are times when people will give you a lot of grief about some new people you start talking to. Forget them. Spend time with people who are good for your mental health.
- Pizza will never disappoint you: This is true 10000000%. People will disappoint you, and movie adaptations of books will disappoint you, but pizza will never ever ever disappoint you.
- Read one quote per day: This is actually really therapeutic and very easy to do. Quotes are literally everywhere. I get my daily dose from instagram and we heart it.
- Change is the only constant: Every change doesn’t necessarily have to be bad. If something is changing, its 99% for the best.
- Move On: Move on from boring books and overrated shows, but most importantly move on from heartbreak.
- Forgive, not easily, but forgive: Forgiving people who’ve really done you wrong comes very hard. Its really easy to just say you hate someone and not make any effort. So try forgiving. Forgive people because you deserve to give that peace to yourself.
- Make time: Life is all about priorities and if someone’s company, and someone’s presence really means a lot, then please prioritize them. Life is run out of you before you can make the most of these people.
- Work your ass off: I mean, really, work so hard that you never look back thinking you could’ve worked harder. Work hard at work and work hard at college and you’ll easily master adulthood.
- You can’t change people: Some people come into your life filling it with so much happiness and hope that the minute something goes wrong in their life, you want to fix it. But you really can’t. Whatever is happening in someone else’s life is happening because of how they are as a person, and that – you can’t change that, no matter how much you try and how much you want to.
- Put your health first: This is so important and most people don’t realize it till they’ve already lost all control over it. Nothing in life will matter as much as your physical and mental health will (except maybe One Direction coming back together), so work on your health everyday!
- Binge watch Harry Potter: You shouldn’t even need a reason for this. Binge watching Harry Potter movies is the best thing and you never need a specific time or reason or anything at all for the same.
- Never forget what you love: Really, it could be singing or dancing or looking up crazy recipes all day (personally, I love reading). Always, and I mean always, find time for what you really love.
- You’re not too old: You really aren’t. Stop cribbing and thinking that you’ve wasted life. You’ve barely started life.
Last year, I went off to this tattoo parlour here in Mumbai and got myself inked, again!
Now, my first tattoo was a tribute to my family and so obviously, my second tattoo is a tribute to my best childhood memory and my favourite book series of all time.
Lo, and behold!
Yes, yes, yes! THAT’S MY NEW DEATHLY HALLOWS TATTOO (scream on cue)
I’m so excited and so happy I don’t even have words – my tattoo is beautiful and amazingly pretty looking :”)
I have actually been really jealous of those people who whenever they have a problem with someone, they just sit down with that specific person and fix everything and get their lives back on track. HOW?
I have been trying (completely unsuccessfully) to get my stupid friend to make time and talk to me because (and in his words) , ‘we’ve been at odds’; To say that I have failed would be an understatement. I have absolutely failed because its been a week since I told him that I was effectively done with him, and everything related to him, and that I didn’t want to talk to him anymore. Now if the situation was reversed, and someone came up to me and told me that they didn’t want anything to do with me, I’d be worried. And curious. And upset, and little mad. And I’d probably do anything to get to the bottom of it. The only reaction I got was no reaction and if I wasn’t mad earlier at the way things at turned out, I was now.
Since Wednesday, I have been opening my phone to messages saying ‘We need to talk’ ‘When you’re free, let’s talk’ – but the thing is, its Sunday and this talk hasn’t happened yet.
The situation actually wouldn’t be the heartbreaking and I would right about now be moving on if it would have been anyone else – if it, quite literally, hadn’t been just about my favourite person who now was standing in front of me and not caring that I was done. At first, I was shocked that everything I was saying wasn’t making even a tiny, miny little bit of a difference. That was at first. It actually didn’t take me too long to realize that my favourite person is in fact, really bored. He’s bored of me, and he’s bored of my talks, and all my stories.
There’s this weird kind of feeling that comes with the realization that someone’s bored of you. First, you’re completely dumbfounded – how could someone who you tried so hard to do everything for, be bored of you? Then comes the heartache, what did you do that this person who was always happy to be around you suddenly can’t seem to get far away from you? When you finally go through the whole cycle of being really upset and then really angry, you start feeling extremely stupid. Why didn’t you see it coming? What I’ve actually figured out after a whole week of contemplating about this is that it was never my fault. I could’ve said anything else, and he wouldn’t have cared.
My favourite person got bored of me and now I’m moving back to making Harry Styles my favourite human.
College re-opened today after a huge vacation period. Obviously, I did not want to go back to college (I never want to go back to college), but for the first time, during this internship break I had the best time – and that was the only reason I did not want to go back to college.
I interned for three weeks at a law firm and I worked with the Banking and Finance team and I’m not even kidding when I say I absolutely loved it! I had the nicest boss and the sweetest team to work for and though the working hours were killing me on a daily basis (10:30 – 8:30), I did not want to leave. This was my fifth internship and this was in fact the first time I really felt like this is what I would love doing for the rest of my life. For our last year at college, we have four specializations offered out of which we need to choose one – one of them is Banking & Finance and Corporate Law, and after this internship I can positively say I’m moving towards the direction of Banking & Finance!
All in all, my internship is over and college has started again and I would give anything to go back to work!
College has been on break since the second week of October. Its our combined diwali vacations and the month long internship break.
Now for the past 2 years, we’ve not really taken a family vacation – mainly because my brother had tons to study and no time to spare. So this time, when we both had ample free time, I was completely adamant about a vacation. At this point, all of us just really, really needed it.
Thus, on the 15th of October (a Sunday), we took off from Mumbai to go visit Goa! I’m not exaggerating when I say that I LOVE the beach! I’m obsessed with the water, and the waves, and the simple, happy feelings that beaches create in you. Our trip was four nights long and I’m proud to say, a complete success!
Ever since I’ve learnt how to properly use my expensive camera, I’ve actually gotten a bit better at taking pictures and thus I ended up taking some really beautiful pictures. And ever since my mother gifted me a polaroid camera, I ended up taking some really cute polaroid pictures as well!
I collected adorable sea shells, bought really cute foot jewelry and purchased tons of souvenirs (I have a definite thing for them) and had a truckload of fun – right from spending every spare moment on the beach to road tripping to various places. I clearly remember, at one point, I was standing on the beach, near the edge of the sea with just enough water washing against my ankles and I remember thinking, ‘I love this. I love the beach, and the water and I love feeling that I was born for this.’
What if there’s one person you really want to tell something to, and that’s the one person you completely cannot tell this thing to?
For everyone who hasn’t seen/read The Fault in Our Stars; its about two teenagers who both have cancer and who fall in love and one of them dies (because obviously how else are you going to make everyone cry?) When Augustus dies, Hazel is heartbroken, and her parents try communicating with her all day. She’s sitting all alone on her swing set and she’s hating this simple fact that everyone wants to talk to her about Gus’ death. This is what she thinks at that exact moment: “The only person I wanted to talk to about Augustus Waters death, was Augustus Waters.”
For obvious reasons, she couldn’t.
What if this happens to you once in a while? What if there’s just one person in this entire universe you want to tell something to and that’s just the one person you absolutely cannot tell this thing to? It could be anything. You want to tell something to your best friend but she would hate you for saying that. So you don’t tell her. But you really, really don’t want to tell anyone else.
When you look back, this seems like such a common dilemma. At any time in life, you’re stuck with this piece of information, or you have this advice you wanna give out, or just this massive feeling and the only person you want to tell is the person you can’t! – Maybe this information is about them, maybe this advice would seem to them as you overstepping your boundaries, But you really don’t want to tell anyone else. You want their opinion, their voice, their talk. But they’re your figurative Augustus Waters.
So, what would you do?
“Mother’s Day is a celebration honoring the mother of the person, as well as motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of mothers in society. It is celebrated on various days in many parts of the world, most commonly in the months of March or May.” – This is what wikipedia describes Mother’s Day as.
I personally think Mother’s Day is a lot more than just one day of honouring moms. I think everyday is a just another version of Mother’s Day. If you really think about it, we aren’t doing anything different on Mother’s Day than we’re doing on every other day. Sure, we’ll get her gift, or take her our for a meal, or maybe even cook a meal! But at the end of the day, she’s the one taking out the trash, she’s putting the clothes up for washing, she is doing everything she’s been doing since she became a mother.
Its Mother’s Day (14th May) today here in India, and since I have exams starting from tomorrow, I’m not with my mother. Even though its supposed to be a ‘special day’ for her, I’m 1000000% sure she’s gone running, or cycling now. Then she’ll be back and cook breakfast (and since its a Sunday it’ll be a special breakfast) and she’ll do everything she needs to do.
Happy Mother’s Day, Mom! Please eat some chocolate cake!
In other news,
My mother now writes a blog as well! She’s just started but she’s becoming really dedicated, really quickly. Go check out her blog ❤